Thursday, February 12, 2009

Grocery shopping.

My first night here my roommates were really nice about everything - mainly not forcing me out into the cold to fend for myself and find my own food. The opened the fridge to me and ...all of the 3 things in there were offered.

On my way home from work, I figured now would be a good time to pick up a few things in order to return the favor. It seems like they only buy for a few days at a time, so doing the same seemed like a good idea.

Prague hasn't seemed to jump on the supermarket bandwagon yet, so I was forced to go to the local Polish mini grocery store and begin my foray into food buying here. I was instantly greeted by a man with a long ponytail and socks with sandals. Not a good start.

During this entire endeavor, I also forgot that not only do I not speak Czech - I can't read it either.

I WANTED to get ham and cheese for sandwiches... thanks to some shoddy labeling and no pictures, I got imitation butter and some sort of meat that can in no way be edible. Great.

Even better - nothing was refrigerated in there. The cheeses, the milks, the meats. Nothing. Either the Czechs like to play russian roulette with their intestines, or they're genetically engineered to withstand this sort of biological warfare. I am certain that I will catch some sort of parasite before this internship is done.

1 comment:

  1. yeah dude, here in greece the eggs arnt refrigerated.... so the yokes are bright orange. and the eggs themselves still have feathers stuck to them.

    ReplyDelete